Design, Editing, June Gloom Short, Motion Graphics
March 28, 2011
Design, Editing, Motion Graphics
This post ties right into my Keepin’ It Real blog. My short, June Gloom, is almost done and I don’t mind sharing a couple more frames before the finish line. The below frame is from a 3 seconds long clip, right after the long shot of the prison pickup. I felt a need for the prison to be in it in order to reinforce the location and help the story line. Since it’s a handheld shot, I started with motion tracking along with establishing a cut off line. The red squares are the trackers and the purple line is my vertical guide.
I prepped my prison picture in Photoshop, a combination of a still and a screen-grab of the actual footage. I composited the jpeg in After Effects and made it into a 3D layer. I assigned a virtual camera to the layer, which had created the desired perspective (after some adjustments to the x, y and z axes).
But it was too sharp, as you can see, so I added a lens blur to soften the image and the edges. I also created a null object with the tracking info and linked my jpeg to it. Now my prison was nicely moving (shaking) along with my footage.
Lastly, I changed the depth of field settings of my AE camera to the one we used during the shoot for a more realistic feel. It’s not as noticeable here as it is on the big screen but the closer parts are actually more in-focus then the further ones.
July 29, 2010
Design, Motion Graphics
So here he is… the dancing fool in all his furry glory. Mr. Fox is making the moves and dancing his underwear off (please note, he has none). However, as Mr. Fox rocked the floor, the client danced around the subject and never picked up the spot. No problemo, this party animal will be filed away in my portfolio and will always come handy as a reference. So lets not stick a fork in him just yet, because he’s a plush fox… he might get punctured.
May 8, 2010
Design, Motion Graphics
“The client would never go for it”, my EP asserted. Whaaat? O.K., here’s the scenario. I had to create an end tag for an upcoming commercial project. I made a few mock ups but first I was asked to keep it simple and tone down the movements. “Nothing crazy, alright?” Not a problem, but it was even more interesting to learn that the below example was hiding a potential branding hazard. I was told that any respectable client would in no case allow its product/logo to be knocked out of a frame by anything, including text. I guess it’s part of Branding 101 and I kinda get it. But the question remains the same. Really??
Of course, we’re not using this one…
April 21, 2010
I just finished adding special effects to a Western comedy titled “Tornado the Goldfish Sheriff”. The six episodes were already edited so adding only the finishing touches to the cut was a nice departure from my usual workload. There were a few scenes that needed muzzle flashes, bullet hits, impacts, gun smoke, dust, rain, and all the other elements that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Once I finished compositing the above mentioned pieces, I closed the shades because it was time for a little TLC. I added a subtle vignette along with some dust speckles, film scratches and a sepia toned color grade. Here are three examples with a breakdown of the process.
I was also asked to design the title cards for each episode. After a few design ideas, some more peeks and tweaks, we all felt pretty good about this old Western poster-looking card.
The series will launch online in the near future so you don’t have to wait too long to witness all the madness. Until then, here’s a quick recap of today’s examples.